The postpartum recovery period is important to prepare for. I didn’t realize this the first time around, but luckily I had great support in place so I was well taken care of. This time around I am preparing for this time by doing several things.
First, I have just finished getting several meals in the freezer so we will have healthy food to eat (and, I admit, some treats, too!) and can just focus on our new baby instead of wasting energy preparing and figuring out what to eat. The first time around I was very blessed and received meals for 4 weeks but this time around I won’t be most likely. We were also living with my parents then so this time we are on our own. 🙂 Here are the meals I chose to freeze. (My mom, husband and I all did this over the last several days, not all in one day!)
- From this freezer meal plan: Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls; Honey Yogurt Berry Pops; Kale, Bacon and Cheese Casserole; Chicken Salad with Apricots; Crunchy Coconut Chicken with Apricot Sauce; White Pizza with Kale; Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese; BBQ Short Ribs; Lemon Ravioli and Summer Squash; (2) Bacon Crusted Pork Tenderloins; Southwestern Skillet with Cornbread; Coconut Curry Kebabs and Apricot Jam
- (2) Lasagna Casseroles
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Balls Dough Balls (to bake up fresh)
For my physical recovery, I have purchased and made some items that I think will be soothing and healing.
- Epsom Salts (for post birth baths)
- Earth Mama Bottom Balm
- New Mama Bottom Spray
- Postpartum Bath Herbs (I actually won these in a giveaway on the Earth Mama Angel Baby Blog!)
- AfterEase (for after birth pains)
- Postpartum Pads (frozen, so these are like soothing ice packs)
- Domino Postpartum Pads
- Mom Crafts 4 U Pads
For the immediate postpartum period, I purchased a nursing gown that would easily open to allow easy access to place baby skin-to-skin.
I also have my mom coming over for a week to help with house cleaning, making meals and helping take care of my 3 year old so I can focus on resting, recovering and taking care of the new baby.
Linked up at The Tuesday Baby Link Up