Preparing for Birth: Birth Support
Welcome to the fourth week in our 10 week series on Preparing for Birth! This week’s focus is on Birth Support. This is timely for me as we just made the sort of last minute decision (at 30 something weeks pregnant) to hire a doula to support us during my upcoming birth.
I’ll be sharing some of what into that decision later this week. I also have a guest post here on the blog from Carolina Doulas on what a doula does you can read if you are wondering what in the world a doula even is.
Along with my thoughts on birth support later this week, here are posts from other bloggers on the topic:
- Bart, at Living Peacefully with Children, was all the support Mandy needed when it came to the birth of their children. Read My Husband, My Nuclear Midwife and Labor Support for how Bart supported Mandy.
- Diary of a First Child has some suggestions for things that your different birth partners can do to support you during your birth.
- Click Clack Gorilla shares, “At 26 weeks pregnant I have my first at-home midwife appointment, and it is glorious. Medical care feels so good!”
- Prenatal massage can help you feel better during pregnancy *and* during labor. Dionna at Code Name: Mama shares a video on prenatal massage tips– share it with your partner and doula!
- “My husband was my absolute rock during the birth of our first daughter. He was there with me every second of the 33.5 hour labor and delivered her through an accidental homebirth. That birth brought us closer together.” Lactating Girl’s thanks her husband in this touching post.
- A list of ideas for activity packs to keep older siblings occupied during a homebirth (or if they’re at the hospital!) from Diary of a First Child
- Julie at Inexplicable Ways shares what a doula does when mom has an epidural.
Be on the lookout later this week for a guest post from Code Name: Mama on an excellent technique your birth partner can use during labor.That Mama Gretchen and Parenting God’s Children are also writing on birth support on their blogs this week. I’ll do a recap at the end of the week about their posts.
Other topics in the Preparing for Birth Series:
Want to participate? Learn more in my Call for Submissions post.
Leave a Reply